From his law office in Indianapolis, attorney Mark McKinzie utilizes his 41 years of experience in the areas of:
- 1st and 3rd party insurance defense litigation;
- insurance regulatory and coverage issues
- business & corporate law;
- business contract drafting and negotiating;
- business entity selection;
- contract disputes;
- noncompetition agreements; and
- construction litigation;
to provide counsel to and advocacy on behalf of his clients. Mark understands the importance of cost effective representation of his clients’ interests. He identifies key issues and approaches resolving them with a view toward avoiding litigation which often can be more costly and time consuming for the litigants than initially anticipated.
Where reasonable resolution cannot be obtained, Mark aggressively protects and promotes his clients’ interests and goals. In pursuing a counterclaim for a business owner against a major insurance company in Hamilton County, Indiana, Mark and his co-counsel secured the largest jury verdict for defamation against an American corporation in United States history.
Mark joined Riley Bennett Egloff LLP as a Partner over 17 years ago, after a distinguished career in corporate insurance law, rising to be Senior VP, General Counsel, and Secretary for the Meridian Insurance Companies overseeing the claims and claim litigation functions, all 1st party litigation, including any allegation of bad faith by the company and serving in that position prior to the company’s sale and merger with State Auto Insurance of Columbus Ohio.
With his business and legal background and extensive and varied experience, having represented plaintiffs and defendants in a wide range of practice areas, Mark possesses and consistently demonstrates keen insight and pragmatic, resourceful solutions beneficial to the parties.
- Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parishioner, Member (1988 - Present)
- President of Valleybrook Homeowners’ Association, Member (2007 - Present)
- Woodland Country Club, President (2006); Board Member (2004 - 2006)
- Mark has been lead counsel in over twenty-five (25) jury trials and has represented clients in numerous hearings in front of various regulatory bodies.
- Defended gentlemen’s club in dram shop action involving multiple fatalities.
- Defended insurance company’s interests in regulatory dispute over whether the Department of Insurance or the Department of Finance had primary regulatory jurisdiction in regulating the client’s product.
- Developed innovative process for restoration contractor: sought and secured numerous Court Ordered Appraisal Process Orders, working with contractor and insurance company, when there was a failure to reach an agreed amount of damages for property claim where coverage and causation were not in dispute.
- Guided an investor in publicly traded insurance company to receive necessary regulatory approvals in five (5) states.
- Defended a municipal water company in personal injury action alleging tainted water supply.
- Defended insurance company in targeted Insurance Department Market Conduct Examination and negotiated a significantly reduced Agreed Settlement from initial Order.
- Defended insurance company in 1st party bad faith claim and secured Summary Judgment for client.
Publications & Presentations
Happy Spring: Time to Sue My Service Provider or Disparage My Neighbor! - 10 Tips to Quickly, Amicably, Fairly, and Economically Settle Disputes RBE Blog (2018)
- With the beautiful weather the month of May brings us in Indiana, generally people are in a happier mood being outside and enjoying the warmth and sunshine of springtime activities. The closer interaction with family, friends, neighbors, and business associates which naturally occurs in springtime brings smiles, fun, and laughter. READ ARTICLE
Are You Adequately Insured? A Primer About Personal, Casualty, And Commercial Insurance Coverages, RBE Blog (2017)
- There exists a range of property and casualty insurance coverages to protect you, your family, your residence, and your business. Working with your insurance agent or direct line insurance specialist, you should first coordinate your personal insurance policies so that your homeowners, auto, and umbrella policies are complimentary to each other. These personal lines policies should not be duplicative of the coverage provided by your business insurance policy, usually either a Business Owners Protection Policy (“BOP”) or a Commercial General Liability Policy (“CGL”). READ ARTICLE
Regulate or Ban Insurers’ Use of History, Indiana Lawyer (2003)
- Weighing the Costs and Benefits of Insurance Litigation,” 60th Annual Central Indiana Chapter of the Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter Conferment Luncheon (October 2006)
- “Potential Benefits of Self-Insurance,” Indiana Association of School Business Officials (IASBO) (2009)
- Indianan Continuing Legal Education Forum, Indiana Insurance Law Symposium (2015)
Awards & Recognition
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Rated (2012)
- Outstanding Support & Commitment to the Indiana Insurance Institute (2003)
- Outstanding Leadership Award for four years as Chairman of Indiana Insurance Guaranty Association’s Board of Directors (1996 - 2000)
- Leadership Award for serving as Chairman of Insurance Institute of Indiana Legislative Study Committee (1992 - 1994)
- Distinguished Fellow of the Indy Bar Foundation (2015)
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Indiana State Bar Association
- American Bar Association, Tort and Insurance Practice and Business Law Sections
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana
- Insurance Institute of Indiana Committees, including past Chairman of both Legislative Steering and Amicus Curiae Committees
- Member Alliance of American Insurers Legal Committee
- Member National Association of Mutual Insurance Companies Legal Committee
- Member National Association of Independent Insurers Laws Committee
- Founding Director of the Urban Insurance Partners Foundation
- Member of the Indiana Insurance Guaranty Association Board of Directors, Chairman (1996-2000)
- Indiana University Maurer School of Law, J.D., cum laude (1978)
- University of Illinois, B.S., Finance with high honors 1974; M.B.A. with highest honors(1976)
- Indiana (1989)
- Illinois (1979)
- U.S. District Courts, Southern Districts of Indiana
- U.S. District Courts, Northern Districts of Indiana
- United States Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit