Beau Browning concentrates his practice in civil litigation, primarily medical malpractice defense. He defends hospitals, physicians, nurses, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, long-term care facilities, clinics, and other health-care providers against medical malpractice claims.
Beau represents providers at all stages of litigation, from the Medical Review Panel through subsequent claims in Indiana state courts and the Indiana Court of Appeals. He has represented individuals and businesses in jury trials in both state and federal courts.
Sparkman v. Community Health Network, 213 N.E.3d 1085 (Ind. Ct. App. 2023), trans. Denied.
- Obtained a unanimous Opinion from the Medical Review Panel in favor of the defendant hospital in a case involving burns sustained during surgery. Successfully obtained summary judgment from the trial court, which was unanimously upheld by the Indiana Court of Appeals. Both courts agreed that the res ipsa loquitur exception did not apply to excuse the requirement for expert testimony refuting the Panel Opinion.
Hayes v. Sturtevant, et al., 49D05-2010-CT-035840
- Obtained a unanimous Opinion from the Medical Review Panel in favor of the defendant physician. Moved for summary judgment, which plaintiff opposed with the affidavit of an independent expert. Deposed the expert, and successfully used the expert’s own deposition testimony against him to negate his affidavit testimony and obtain summary judgment in favor of the defendant physician.
In addition, Mr. Browning has successfully obtained dozens of unanimous Opinions from Medical Review Panels for his clients, including general surgeons, neurosurgeons, orthopedic surgeons, cardiologists, pulmonologists, OB-GYNs, oncologists, intensivists, hospitalists, and family medicine physicians, nurse practitioners, and physician assistants, as well as nurses, emergency room staff, and radiology staff.
Volunteer Judge, Hon. Robert H. Staton Moot Court Competition, Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law — 2022
Beau lives in downtown Indianapolis with his girlfriend Maddy and their corgi-poodle Zoe.
In his free time, Beau enjoys reading at local coffee shops, cheering on his beloved Pacers, and (slowly) working his way through the AFI top 100 movies of all time. Beau also dabbles in stand-up comedy, and performs improv comedy with ComedySportz Indianapolis.
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Defense Trial Council of Indiana (DTCI)
- Indiana Society for Healthcare Risk Management (ISHRM)
Bar and Court Admissions
- Indiana, 2015
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana, 2015
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana, 2015
- Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law, JD, 2015, cum laude
- Ball State University, BS, Political Science and Economics — double major, 2012, cum laude