Justin is an experienced litigator who represents and advises business clients in many types of disputes in federal and state courts across Indiana. He represents businesses and employers in lawsuits including wage and retaliation claims, trade secret and confidentiality claims, non-competition and non-solicitation covenants, breach of contract claims, collections, and appeals. Justin also defends health-care providers against medical licensing complaints.
Additionally, Mr. Sorrell has experience in defending claims involving construction-related commercial property damage, products liability, and insurance coverage, and he has served as local counsel in federal and state courts across Indiana. He defends employers before the Indiana Worker’s Compensation Board, and has experience in other business-related areas, including serving as outside corporate counsel, and handling bank loan transactions, loan work-outs, and bankruptcy matters. He also has significant experience in discovery of electronically-stored information (ESI), and advises clients on how to maximize value and minimize expense. Mr. Sorrell earned his BM degree and MM degree from the Indiana University Jacobs School of Music, and his JD degree from Indiana University Maurer School of Law.
Justin is a problem-solver, and seeks creative solutions to his clients’ issues while emphasizing the business impact of litigation choices to help guide his clients’ decision-making. When an amicable resolution is not possible, he aggressively and diligently pursues his clients’ interests. He has helped numerous clients amicably resolve contentious disputes, saving their businesses significant time and money.
After earning his law degree, Justin served as a judicial clerk for the Honorable L. Mark Bailey at the Court of Appeals of Indiana. Before beginning his legal career, Justin grew up in Vermont, and was a professional musician with experience performing around the globe, including for Princess Cruises, Disneyland, and Walt Disney World.
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- Local Rules Advisory Committee, 2019 – present
- Greater Indianapolis Progress Committee
- Board of Directors, 2023 – present
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Leadership Development Academy, Class VII graduate, 2018
- Lawyer Advertising Rules Review Committee,
- Vice-Chair, 2019 – 2021
- Chair, 2021 – present
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Young Lawyers Division, Vice-Chair, Education Committee, 2015 – 2018
- Seven2Seven Condominium Homeowners Association, President, Board of Directors, 2021 – present
- Association of General Contractors of Indiana
- Leadership Program, Graduate, 2020 – 2021
- Prosecuted appeal of denial of summary judgment sought on behalf of truck leasing company. Won partial reversal of trial court’s decision, and entry of summary judgment on one of the plaintiffs’ claims.: Penske Truck Leasing Co., L.P. v. McGrath, 157 N.E.3d 5 (Ind. Ct. App. 2020).
- Defended adverse party’s appeal of entry of summary judgment and dismissal of lawsuit in favor of truck leasing company and truck driver: White v. Holland, 19A-CT-967 (Ind. Ct. App. 2019) (memorandum decision), trans. denied.
- Prosecuted appeal of punitive damages award entered in favor of adverse party. Won reversal of punitive damages award: West v. J. Greg Allen Builder, Inc., 92 N.E.3d 634 (Ind. Ct. App. 2017), trans. denied.
- Prosecuted appeal of summary judgment entered in favor of adverse party. Won reversal of summary judgment and remand for new trial in favor of patron: Miller v. Rosehill Hotels, LLC, 45 N.E.3d 15 (Ind. Ct. App. 2015).
- After three-day bench trial, obtained defense verdict in favor of a contractor alleged to have negligently maintained a lift station that malfunctioned and caused damage to commercial property in excess of $1 million.
- Prosecuted large claims for negligence and breach of contract on behalf of general contractor against subcontractors relating to substantial renovations to a large industrial facility. Case settled favorably prior to trial.
- Defended business property owner against mechanics’ liens asserted by numerous subcontractors following general contractor’s filing for bankruptcy protection. All disputes were settled favorably prior to trial.
- Defended breach of contract lawsuit brought against home repair contractor. The plaintiff alleged that our client failed to perform specific repairs in a workmanlike manner, thus breaching its contract. Our defense focused on the doctrine of accord and satisfaction, because the plaintiff had accepted a check along with a contractual reduction in price. The Court entered judgment for our client, with costs.
- Assisted real estate developer with replatting and rezoning real estate in Marion County.
- Defended logistics company in federal lawsuit against allegations under the Fair Labor Standards Act. Case settled favorably prior to trial.
- Prosecuted claims for breach of employment agreement against former employee of automobile business, including covenants not to compete and covenants not to solicit. Case settled favorably prior to trial.
- Prosecuted claims for breach of employment agreement against former employee of industrial services provider, including covenants not to compete and covenants not to solicit. Dispute settled favorably pre-suit.
- Defended volunteer fire department against allegations of negligence by former volunteer firefighter. Case settled favorably prior to trial.
- Defended internet marketing company against allegations of website content “scraping.” Case settled favorably prior to trial.
Business and Transactions
- Defended software developer against allegations of breach of contract and prosecuted allegations of breach of contract. Case settled favorably prior to arbitration.
- Prosecuted large breach of contract claim on behalf of industrial services provider. Case settled favorably prior to trial.
- Obtained summary judgment on large breach of contract claim on behalf of industrial materials supplier.
- Defended business owner against allegations of breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, deception, conversion, and embezzlement brought by business co-owner, and prosecuted allegations of fraud, conversion, embezzlement, breach of contract, indemnity, and contribution against co-owner. Case settled favorably prior to trial.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of recreational facility operator against claims of negligence.
- Served as local counsel for an international technology company in defending against allegations of negligence in both federal and state court. Case settled favorably prior to trial.
Riley Bennett Egloff Announces 2024 Best Lawyers Honorees 20 RBE Attorneys Recognized as Best Lawyers in America...
Riley Bennett Egloff is proud to announce that eleven of its attorneys were named “Super Lawyers” and six others as...
RBE is pleased to announce that RBE attorneys Donald Smith & Eric Hylton were recognized by Best Lawyers as 2023...
By: Justin O. Sorrell - RBE PartnerAnyone who has wrestled with Indiana’s Appellate Rules will know they are highly...
Alcohol is a highly regulated substance. State governments often regulate who, what, when, where, and how alcohol can...
Caught Between a Rock and a Hard Place: The Perils of Simultaneously Defending Against Criminal and Civil Lawsuits
Some people are unlucky enough to find themselves subject to criminal prosecution and a civil lawsuit, all for the...
Picture this: you provide services to an out-of-state company, and the company then refuses to pay. The company...
On April 2, 2018, the U.S. Supreme Court issued an opinion which may have long-lasting effects on wage and hour law....
Let’s say a trial court or jury just made a decision with which you disagree. Your next question likely will be,...
Imagine this scenario: you sell your goods or services to a customer and send an invoice, and the customer gives you...
Awards & Recognition
- Best Lawyers “Ones to Watch”, 2021 – present)
- Labor and Employment Law — Management
- Litigation — Labor and Employment
- Indiana Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2020 – present
- General Litigation
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Young Lawyers Division Distinguished Leadership Award, 2018
Indiana State Bar Association
Indianapolis Bar Association
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana Local Rules Advisory Committee
Sagamore American Inn of Court
Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana
Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Indiana
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana, 2013
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana, 2014
- Indiana University Maurer School of Law, JD, 2012
- Indiana University Jacobs School of Music, MM, Jazz Studies, 2009
- Indiana University Jacobs School of Music, BM, Piano Performance, French Minor, 2006