Ray Seach is an AV-Rated attorney focusing on litigation and transactions involving products, premises, environmental, aviation, shareholders, contracts, financing, and insurance matters. He has significant jury trial experience representing local, regional and national companies. Ray has also litigated appeals to the Indiana Court of Appeals, and has argued before the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
Ray also represents companies and their owners with business formation, shareholder agreements, financing, acquisitions, leasing, franchising, and shareholder disputes. Through his work as a Certified Public Accountant before attending Indiana University School of Law, Ray gained experience with auditing entities and their financial statements, which provides a strong foundation for his work as a litigation and business lawyer.
- Notre Dame Alumni Association
- Indiana University Alumni Association
- Holy Spirit at Geist Church
- Defended and continues to defend international HVAC manufacturer in its Indiana product liability and contract claims related to fires, property damages and other losses.
- Represented and continues to represent major CSST manufacturer in its Indiana product liability claims related to gas plumbing lines and related fire loss claims.
- Obtained summary judgment or declaratory judgment in numerous large-loss construction accident and construction defect coverage cases.
- Prosecuted claims by a corporation against a former employee and his business for breach of fiduciary duties, resulting in a favorable verdict at trial for the corporation.
- Obtained defense verdict at trial for former employees in claims by employer for alleged conversion and breach of fiduciary duties.
- Prosecuted claims by former business owner against the current owners for breach of fiduciary duty, which led to a significant settlement for the client.
- Following a significant fire, defended two jury trials against the property insurer for alleged bad faith in denying the property owners’ claim, which resulted in settlement of the claim for less than 10% of the alleged damages.
- Represented aircraft operators in numerous over-spray cases and negotiated successful resolutions of those cases.
- Defended multiple catastrophic fire claims related to major fire losses and other aircraft damage claims.
- Obtained defense verdict at jury trial for claims against property owners related to serious personal injuries arising out of the property owners’ alleged failure to properly control animals on their property.
- Obtained defense verdict at jury trial related to injuries resulting from misuse of a moped by a minor.
- Defended a catastrophic injury claim against a product manufacturer through challenges to the Plaintiff’s expert, leading to a favorable settlement for the manufacturer.
- Obtained numerous Orders granting Summary Judgment for manufacturers in mass tort litigation claims.
- Represented major shareholder in takeover efforts regarding public corporation and related share disposition.
- Assisted large manufacturer with sale of more than twenty Indiana plant locations.
- Represented franchisor of nursing home services in obtaining required franchise registrations and preparing franchise agreements and disclosures.
- Represented franchisees in review and evaluation of franchise documents.
Publications & Presentations
Indiana Spoliation Law: Experts Can be Critical and Good Faith May Not be Enough, RBE Blog (2018)
- The Indiana Court of Appeals issued a decision last month that provides a good overview of spoliation claims under Indiana law, and which confirms the need for all parties and their insurers to be diligent to preserve evidence that could be relevant to potential litigation. This ruling affirms prior decisions that those who hold property that could become relevant evidence in litigation must be very careful to preserve all of the relevant evidence. READ ARTICLE
Insurance Institute of Indiana Annual Seminar for Insurance Professionals and Defense Trial Attorneys, Speaker and Moderator at
Better Business Bureau Seminar for Business and Tax Planning, Speaker
Awards & Recognition
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Rated
- Recipient, American Jurisprudence Award in Negotiable Instruments
- Indiana State Bar Association Insurance Agency
- Board Member
- Central Indiana Small Business Development Center
- Advisory Board Member
- Defense Research Institute
- Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana
- American Bar Association
- Seventh Circuit Bar Association
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Indiana University Maurer School of Law, J.D., cum laude (1993)
- University of Notre Dame, B.B.A., with High Honors (1986)
- Indiana (1993)
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern Districts and Southern Districts of Indiana (1993)
- U.S. Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals (1993)
- Certified Public Accountant in California (currently inactive)