Since 1972, Jim Riley has concentrated his practice on litigation. As lead or local counsel, he represents manufacturers, insurers, financial institutions, and other businesses in litigation in state and federal trial and appellate courts. Cases handled include contract and insurance coverage disputes, products liability cases, trademark and patent infringement actions, and professional liability claims. He has tried more than 20 cases to jury verdicts. He has served on the Local Rules Advisory Committee of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana since 2000.
Jim is also an experienced neutral. As a member of the American Arbitration Association panel of commercial arbitrators since 2006, he is now on the AAA large and complex commercial case panel. He has handled a variety of cases including disputes involving: contracts for supply of goods and services, employment, indemnity; and insurance coverage; crop insurance claims; automobile dealer franchises; credit card accounts; and first party insurance claims. He also served as a mediator in the Indianapolis Bar Association's innovative Settlement Week Program and continues to serve as a mediator in commercial and business cases. He was the Medical Review Panel Chair in more than 150 medical malpractice cases.
Seminars | Presentations
Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum (President 2004-2005) - frequent presenter and seminar chair on litigation, arbitration and insurance topics
Riley: The Indiana State Bar Association Future’s Committee (September 21, 2016)
- The advertising campaigns of AVVO and LegalZoom have attracted consumers who want to use a DIY approach on legal matters or to confer with a lawyer for a nominal charge. Lawyers believe that these legal document and service providers are not serving the interests of clients because of concerns about the “core values” of the legal profession — competence, independence of professional judgment, attorney-client privileged communications, protection of confidential client information, loyalty to clients through the avoidance of conflicts of interest, and pro bono publico commitments. READ MORE
Practice Area Experience
- Defended owner from claims in excess of 70 million dollars relating to construction accident property damage and prosecuted related insurance coverage action.
- Represented manufacturers in catastrophic injury products liability actions to defense verdicts.
- Represented manufacturer in multiple fatality wrongful death products liability action to defense verdict.
- Represented telecommunication company in trademark and patent infringement actions.
- Represented generic drug manufacturers in ANDA patent infringement actions.
- Represented bank in Directors and Officers liability and insurance coverage actions.
- Represented retailer in commercial action against banks.
Rankings | Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Rated
- Indiana Super Lawyers (2004 - 2018)
- Sagamore of the Wabash from Governor Mitchell E. Daniels (October 4, 2006)
- Indiana State Bar Association Presidential Citations (1999, 2000, 2003, 2007, 2012 and 2016)
- Indiana State Bar Association Litigation Section Civility Award (October 17, 2013)
- American Bar Association House of Delegates (2005-2006)
- Indiana State Bar Association
- President (2005-2006)
- Chair, House of Delegates (2003)
- Board of Governors (1997-1999, 2001-2003)
- Fellow: Indianapolis, Indiana (Board of Directors, 2004) and American Bar Foundations
- Federal Bar Association
- Southern District Local Rules Advisory Committee, Seventh Circuit Bar Association
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Board of Managers, 11th District Representative (1997-1999)
- Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana
- Board of Directors (1996-1999)
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
- Purdue University, B.S. (1969)
- University of Michigan, J.D. (1972)
- Indiana (1972)
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court for the Northern and Southern Districts of Indiana