James W. Riley, Jr.
Since 1972, Jim Riley has concentrated his practice on litigation. As lead or local counsel, he represents manufacturers, insurers, financial institutions, and other businesses in litigation in state and federal trial and appellate courts. Cases handled include contract and insurance coverage disputes, products liability cases, trademark and patent infringement actions, and professional liability claims. He has tried more than 20 cases to jury verdicts. He has served on the Local Rules Advisory Committee of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana since 2000.
Jim is also an experienced neutral. As a member of the American Arbitration Association panel of commercial arbitrators since 2006, he is now on the AAA large and complex commercial case panel. He has handled a variety of cases including disputes involving: contracts for supply of goods and services, employment, indemnity; insurance coverage; crop insurance claims; automobile dealer franchises; credit card accounts; and first party insurance claims. He also served as a mediator in the Indianapolis Bar Association’s innovative Settlement Week Program and continues to serve as a mediator in commercial and business cases. He was the Medical Review Panel Chair in more than 150 medical malpractice cases.
- Defended owner from claims in excess of 70 million dollars relating to construction accident property damage and prosecuted related insurance coverage action.
- Represented manufacturers in catastrophic injury products liability actions to defense verdicts.
- Represented manufacturer in multiple fatality wrongful death products liability action to defense verdict.
- Represented telecommunication company in trademark and patent infringement actions.
- Represented generic drug manufacturers in ANDA patent infringement actions.
- Represented bank in Directors and Officers liability and insurance coverage actions.
- Represented retailer in commercial action against banks.
Congratulations to RBE’s 2023 Super Lawyers
Riley Bennett Egloff is proud to announce that eleven of its attorneys were named “Super Lawyers” and six others as...
The Indiana State Bar Association Future’s Committee
The advertising campaigns of AVVO and LegalZoom have attracted consumers who want to use a DIY approach on legal...
Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum (President 2004-2005) - frequent presenter and seminar chair on litigation, arbitration and insurance topics.
Awards & Recognition
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Rated
- Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ are the gold standard in attorney ratings. An “AV” rating is the most prestigious rating.
- Indiana Super Lawyers (2004 – 2021)
- Super Lawyers is a rating service of outstanding lawyers who have attained a high-degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. The selection process includes independent research, peer nominations and peer evaluations.
- Sagamore of the Wabash from Governor Mitchell E. Daniels (October 4, 2006)
- Indiana State Bar Association Presidential Citations (1999, 2000, 2003, 2007, 2012 and 2016)
- Indiana State Bar Association Litigation Section Civility Award (October 17, 2013)
Alternative Dispute Resolution Training
ACE23 – AAA Panelist Safety and Security
ACE22 – AAA Process Essentials for AAA Arbitrators, 2022
ACE21 – AAA Impartiality: Do You Know Where Your Biases Are?, 2021
ACE20 – AAA Cyber Security: A Shared Responsibility, 2019
Sexual Harassment Presentation for AAA Panelists, 2019
ACE19 – AAA Case Finances: What Arbitrators Need to Know, 2019
ACE18 – AAA Arbitrator Performance and Demeanor ~ Meeting Participant Expectations, 2018
ACE14 – AAA Red Flags & Risk Areas: Challenges to Arbitrator Authority, 2017
ACE09- AAA Conducting Research & Investigations, The Arbitrator’s Authority, 2016
ACE10 – AAA Avoiding Ten Common Missteps Arbitrators Make 2015
AAA Principled Deliberations: Decision-Making Skills for Arbitrators, 2014
AAA Managing the Arbitration Process for Efficiency & Economy Following the Preliminary Hearing, 2013
ACE01 – AAA Arbitration Awards: Safeguarding, Deciding & Writing Awards 2010
ACE04 – AAA Dealing With Delay Tactics in Arbitration, 2010
Indiana State Bar Association Arbitration Forum, 2008
AAA Arbitrator I Training: Fundamentals of the Arbitration Process, 2006
ABA ADR Section, 2nd Arbitration Training Institute, 2005
Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum, ADR: Executive Negotiation, Mediation & Arbitration, 2005
Business Contract Disputes
Insurance Defense / Insurance Coverage
Arbitration / Mediation / Alternative Dispute
- American Bar Association House of Delegates (2005-2006)
- Indiana State Bar Association
- President (2005-2006)
- Chair, House of Delegates (2003)
- Board of Governors (1997-1999, 2001-2003)
- Fellow: Indianapolis, Indiana (Board of Directors, 2004) and American Bar Foundations
- Federal Bar Association
- Southern District Local Rules Advisory Committee, Seventh Circuit Bar Association
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Board of Managers, 11th District Representative (1997-1999)
- Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana
- Board of Directors (1996-1999)
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
- Indiana (1972)
- U.S. Supreme Court (1975)
- U.S. Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals (1973)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern and Southern Districts of Indiana (1972)
- University of Michigan, J.D. (1972)
- Purdue University, B.S. (1969)