Katie R. Osborne
Katie Osborne concentrates her practice in civil litigation. Katie skillfully defends hospitals, physicians, nurses, and long-term care facilities against medical malpractice claims. She represents health care providers at all stages of litigation, from the Indiana Medical Malpractice Act’s medical review panel process through subsequent state court actions, and has successfully obtained dismissals of medical malpractice complaints improperly filed in state court for lack of subject matter jurisdiction.
Katie also practices in commercial litigation, capably representing businesses in various matters including premises liability claims, contract disputes and employment-related issues such as non-compete disagreements and actions for wrongful termination and discrimination claims. Katie engages in client-focused representation and uses a hands-on approach to managing actions with complex factual and legal issues.
- Indiana State Bar Association’s Leadership Development Academy, Committee Member (2017-Present)
- Organize and develop programming for the Leadership Development Academy, servant-driven leadership development program targeted toward attorneys who have practiced for less than five years.
- Indiana State Bar Association Leadership Development Academy, Class 6 (2017)
- Attended servant-driven leadership development programming aimed at promoting civility and leadership within the legal community.
- Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law Civil Practice Clinic, Supervising Attorney (2014 – 2016)
- Provided guidance, support and supervision of law students in providing pro bono legal services including child support modifications and protective orders.
- Defended dozens of healthcare providers against medical malpractice claims before the Indiana Department of Insurance. Successfully obtained favorable medical review panel opinions which have led to the dismissal or abandonment of state court action.
- Defended healthcare provider against untimely medical malpractice claim where the family brought the claim after the statute of limitations had retired.
- Filed a motion for summary judgment against plaintiff for lack of standing to bring medical malpractice claim on behalf of a deceased friend when the plaintiff had not been named personal representative, resulting in voluntary dismissal of complaint.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of healthcare providers who have obtained favorable opinions from medical review panels.
- Represented manufacturing company on breach of contract action for negligent construction of facility. Case settled favorably to client.
- Defended employer against age discrimination claim where employee was terminated for failing to report an accident which resulted in damage to a customer’s property. Case settled favorably for client prior to trial.
- Defended employer against race discrimination claim where employee was terminated for violation of attendance policy. Case settled favorably for client.
- Filed motion for summary judgment on plaintiff’s discrimination and wrongful termination claims, after which plaintiff’s counsel withdrew and the action was dismissed for failure to prosecute.
Some attorneys may be familiar with and can competently advise their clients regarding the federal and state causes of...
One of the purposes of tort law is to “make injured parties whole.” This is typically accomplished when a person whose...
RBE attorney Katie Osborne was selected to participate in the Indiana State Bar Association’s Leadership Development Academy for 2017
The Indiana State Bar Association (ISBA) today announced the Class of 2017 of its Leadership Development Academy, now...
Beyond the Office
Bryce enjoys staying physically active outdoors and interest in protecting nature and the physical beauty of his environment has motivated him to serve in leadership positions of both his local neighborhood associations.
- Fox Eagle Lake Association, Inc., Treasurer (2013-Present)
- Sylvan Beach Resort Company, Director, President (1999-2001)
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Networking Executive Committee (2014-2016)
- Health Law Section (2015-Present)
- Women and the Law Division (2016-Present)
- Indiana State Bar Association (2015-Present)
- Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana
- Women in Law Division (2014-Present)
- Defense Research Institute
- Indiana (2014)
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Indiana (2015)
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana (2015)
- Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law, J.D., cum laude (2014)
- Indiana University, B.S., with distinction (2010)
Construction Litigation & Dispute Resolution
Business / Intellectual Property / Employment Litigation
Insurance Defense / Insurance Coverage
Medical Malpractice Defense
Business Contract Disputes