Laura K. Binford
Laura K. Binford concentrates her practice in medical malpractice defense. She represents hospitals, long term care facilities, physicians, nurses, nurse practitioners, clinics, and other healthcare providers in the defense of medical negligence claims.
Past Member of Wishard Foundation George H. Rawls, M.D. Scholarship Dinner Committee,
- Assist with fund raising and promotion of Scholarship Dinner.
Past Member of Scholarship Committee for Indiana Healthcare Association, Member,
- Interview candidates for scholarship awarded to nursing students dedicated to long term care.
Heart and Soul Free Clinic Board Member
- Heart and Soul Free Clinic provides cost free health care services to the under and uninsured.
Indiana Health Care Association
- The Indiana Health Care Association (IHCA) is Indiana’s largest trade association and advocate representing proprietary, not-for-profit and hospital-based skilled nursing, assisted living and independent living communities.
Indiana Society for Healthcare Risk Management
- ISHRM continues the drive to advance the development and role of healthcare risk managers in Indiana. ISHRM provides a platform for its members to enjoy educational conferences, the exchanging of ideas, and support of the healthcare community. ISHRM is an affiliate of the American Society for Healthcare Risk Management.
Sagamore American Inn of Court
- The Sagamore American Inn of Court was founded in 1997 by Indiana Supreme Court Justice Brent E. Dickson, Marion County, Indiana Judge David J. Dreyer and Indianapolis attorney William F. Conour. The name “Sagamore” was chosen because history area native Americans used the term to refer to a person known for wisdom and sage advice. One of the highest honors an Indiana Governor can bestow upon a citizen is that of “Sagamore of the Wabash.”
American Society of Healthcare Risk Management
- Established in 1980, the American Society for Health Care Risk Management (ASHRM) is a professional membership group of the American Hospital Association (AHA) with nearly 6,000 members representing risk management, patient safety, insurance, law, finance, and other related professions.
- Represented hospital and residents in medical malpractice claim filed by a patient who alleged a lack of informed consent to the participation of residents in her surgery. The trial court granted summary judgment in favor of the defendant providers. The Court of Appeals affirmed and held that it was not necessary to name residents or students individually on the consent form, as the form’s generic reference to “residents” and “students” sufficed. Tipton v. Isaacs, 17 N.E.3d 292 (Ind. Ct. App. 2014), trans denied, 24 N.E.3d 967 (Ind.2015).
- Represented landowner alleged to have breached duty to invitee to prevent criminal acts of third parties, in which Indiana Supreme Court affirmed grant of summary judgment in favor of landowner, on the grounds landowner did not breach duty to take reasonable steps to prevent foreseeable criminal acts against invitees: L.W. v. Western Golf Ass’n., 712 N.E.2d 983 (Ind. 1999)
- Successfully defended long-term care facility and secured an opinion from the United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana holding that as a matter of law the provisions of the Federal Nursing Home Reform Act do not create rights enforceable under Section 1983. Rather, such claims are governed by Indiana’s Medical Malpractice Act. Diana L. Terry, Personal Representative of the Estate of Jack J. McMillen v. The Health and Hospital Corporation of Marion County and American Senior Communities, LLC In the United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana, Indianapolis Division Case No. 1:10-cv-000607-DML-JMS.
- Has successfully defended healthcare providers in medical malpractice actions before the Indiana Department of Insurance and in courts throughout the State of Indiana.
By: Laura Binford & Jaclyn Flint - RBE AttorneysRBE successfully obtained a dismissal of claims under the Federal...
Indiana’s Medical Malpractice Act (“Act”) statute of limitations for pursuing a claim against a qualified health care...
In Indiana, the nature and extent of damages recoverable for wrongful death are dependent on the status of the...
- Laura has presented to nurses and multiple medical groups on the topics of Indiana’s Medical Malpractice Act and the importance of good charting.
- Laura has also presented to hospital risk managers on the topic of Indiana premises liability law and reducing premises liability risk.
Awards & Recognition
Indiana Super Lawyers (2022)
Super Lawyers is a rating service of outstanding lawyers who have attained a high-degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. The selection process includes independent research, peer nominations and peer evaluations.
Best Lawyers in America – (2022)
Best Lawyers is the oldest and most respected peer-review publication in the legal profession. Recognition in Best Lawyers is widely regarded by clients and legal professionals as a significant honor conferred on a lawyer by their peers.
Distinguished Fellow of the Indy Bar Foundation (2015)
Each year the Indianapolis Bar Foundation honors individuals for their dedication to the law by bestowing on them the designation of Distinguished Fellow. This small but select group is chosen by the Directors of the Indianapolis Bar Foundation to become Distinguished Fellows as a result of their significant contributions to the legal profession and to our community.
Health Care Regulation & Administration
Medical Malpractice Defense
Insurance Defense / Insurance Coverage
Indianapolis Bar Association
Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana
- Medical Liability & Healthcare Law Section
Defense Research Institute
- Health Law Section
American Health Lawyers Association
- Healthcare Liability and Litigation and Long Term Care, Senior Housing, In-Home Care, and Rehabilitation Sections
- Indiana (1989)
- U. S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana (1989)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana (1989)
- U.S. Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law, J.D. (1989)
- Butler University, B.S. (1986)