Sarah MacGill Marr
Sarah is a trial attorney who represents local, regional, and national companies in commercial litigation in both state and federal courts around the country. She practices in the areas of products liability, construction, transportation, and complex commercial litigation. She represents clients in all stages of the litigation process, including trial, and has successfully defended claims for breach of contract, tortious interference with contractual and business relationships, alleged product defects, and premises liability.
Sarah has extensive experience with discovery of electronically-stored information (“ESI”), and regularly advises clients on document retention and storage matters, as well as leading ESI efforts in litigation. Additionally, Sarah counsels clients regarding best practices to avoid litigation, including tips for negotiating and drafting their contracts.
Sarah’s undergraduate degree is from Indiana University–Bloomington and her J.D. is from the Robert H. McKinney School of Law: Indiana University. She is admitted to practice law in the State of Indiana, the District of Columbia, and before the U.S. District Court for the Northern and Southern Districts of Indiana and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit. Sarah has lived in Indiana for her whole life and has been with the firm since she graduated from law school.
Volunteer, Dress for Success
- The mission of Dress for Success is to empower women to achieve economic independence by providing a network of support, professional attire and the development tools to help women thrive in work and in life.
- Sarah has volunteered as a Personal Shopper as well as a mentor for women entering or re-entering the work force.
Volunteer, Catholic Charities Indianapolis (2016 – present)
- The mission of Catholic Charities Indianapolis is to deliver compassionate and caring service to help and empower those in need.
- Sarah has volunteered on the Spirit of Service Development Committee and continues to support the organization through fundraising activities.
Executive Board, Young Lawyers Division of the Indianapolis Bar Association, (2010 – 2014)
- The purpose of the IndyBar Young Lawyers Division is to stimulate the interest of young lawyers and new members of the Indianapolis Bar Association in the objectives of the Association, to carry on activities which will be of assistance to those and other lawyers in their practice of law, to educate and inform the legal community and the general public, and to make reports and recommendations to the Board of Directors of the Association.
- From 2010 to 2014, Sarah was a member of the executive board of the Young Lawyers Division, where she was responsible for planning events, coordinating CLE’s, and supporting the Indianapolis Bar Association, a local organization designed to promote justice and enhance the legal profession.
Co-Chairperson, Go Green Committee of the Indianapolis Bar Association, (2010 – 2014)
- To encourage Indy legal professionals to go green, the Green Legal Initiative was developed by the Go Green Committee. This initiative encourages legal businesses, including law practices, legal departments, courts, agencies, legal support services and other members of the community to commit and engage in environmentally responsible business operation.
- Sarah and her co-chair designed a program to incentivize local law firms and corporate legal departments to evaluate their business practices to achieve environmentally sustainable results.
Member of Broad Ripple Village Association
- The Broad Ripple Village Association is a 501c3 not-for-profit community organization serving residents and businesses in Broad Ripple. Founded in 1969, the Broad Ripple Village Association is the oldest and largest volunteer organization actively working on initiatives that enrich the community, attract investment, amplify public spaces, and improve quality of life in Broad Ripple.
Volunteer, Local Political Organizations
- Sarah is a life-long resident of Indiana and grew up in the Indianapolis community. She is dedicated to making Indianapolis a thriving community and has been involved in local and state-wide political organizations which are committed to the causes that seek to enhance the community.
- Successfully defended multi-million dollar property damage claims brought by a municipal entity against our client for negligence and breach of contract as well as cross-claims brought by other parties against our client. Case was favorably resolved prior to trial.
- Defended general contractor at bench trial where allegations included claims that the contractor had extensively damaged property off the project site. Obtained favorable result on behalf of our client.
- Defended engineering firm in matter involving multiple fatalities where the allegations included negligence and breach of other professional duties. Matter was resolved prior to trial.
- Defended subcontractor in connection with large claims for negligence and breach of contract relating to construction of a large multi-family housing unit. Case settled favorably prior to trial.
Products Liability Litigation
- Defended product manufacturer in litigation involving claims that a consumer appliance was defective where damages exceeded $1million.
- Defended product manufacturer in significant matter in Federal Court where allegations included claims for a defective appliance product and damages significantly exceeded expected values. Matter was favorably resolved prior to trial.
- Defended large corporate entity against allegations of breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, deception, and conversion brought by one shareholder of the corporate entity against the other shareholder and the entity itself. Prosecuted claims for fraud, conversion, breach of contract, and contribution against one of the shareholders. Case settled favorably prior to trial.
- Defended national event promotor in the motorsports industry wherein a team asserted claims against another team, a sponsor, as well as our client. We secured Summary Judgment in favor of our client on all pending claims against it.
- Represented corporate entity in a case where the minority shareholder asserted claims against the majority shareholder and ultimately sought a court-ordered buyout of the minority shares. Matter was favorably resolved prior to Court intervention.
Real Estate Litigation
- Lead trial counsel in matter involving a dispute following the purchase of real estate in southern Indiana.
- Defended General Contractor during proceedings involving damage to residential real estate.
- Part of team representing a client in front of the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
- Sarah regularly volunteers with the Southern District of Indiana Pro Bono Program.
- Represented an incarcerated individual in connection with his claims asserted pursuant to the Eighth Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America.
- Represented an incarcerated individual in connection with his efforts to collect a judgment following the Court’s entry of Summary Judgment in his favor.
RBE is pleased to announce that RBE attorneys Donald Smith & Eric Hylton were recognized by Best Lawyers as 2023...
Who Are IBJ’s Forty Under 40? Each year, the Indianapolis Business Journal selects young adults who are making an...
By: Sarah MacGill Marr - RBE PartnerOnce a fire occurs, the immediate and primary concern of any responding personnel...
One year has passed since the Coronavirus started making headlines in our national and local communities. During the...
In today’s world of fast-paced, electronic communication, nearly every corporation in the U.S. maintains...
Congratulations! You have successfully navigated the small claims court process and have been able to secure a...
Awards & Recognition
IBJ Forty Under 40 – (2022)
Each year, the Indianapolis Business Journal selects young adults who are making an impact in their communities through work and their volunteer efforts. These individuals are local business and professional leaders who have achieved success and excelled in their field before the age of 40.
Best Lawyers in America – (2022)
Best Lawyers is the oldest and most respected peer-review publication in the legal profession. Recognition in Best Lawyers is widely regarded by clients and legal professionals as a significant honor conferred on a lawyer by their peers.
Order of the Barristers, Indiana University School of Law—Indianapolis (2007-2008)
Indiana Super Lawyers Rising Star (2014, 2015, 2018 – Present)
Super Lawyers is a rating service of outstanding lawyers who have attained a high-degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. The selection process includes independent research, peer nominations and peer evaluations.
Business Contract Disputes
Shareholder & Partnership Disputes
Construction Litigation & Dispute Resolution
Insurance Defense / Insurance Coverage
Arbitration / Mediation / Alternative Dispute
- American Bar Association
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana
- Defense Research Institute
- Indiana (2009)
- US District Court for the Northern and Southern Districts of Indiana
- D.C. Court of Appeals
- Indiana University, Bachelor of Science in Marketing and International Business, Minor in Spanish (2005)
- Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law, J.D. (2008)