Laura Reed counsels insurance companies, businesses, non-profit organizations, and individuals regarding insurance coverage issues and represents them in litigation arising from insurance coverage disputes and bad faith.
Laura also represents clients in business and civil litigation involving premises liability, product liability, construction, and transportation issues.
Laura served on the Firm’s Management Committee from 2013 to 2016.
- Downey Avenue Christian Church, Vice Moderator 2002-2003
- Downey Avenue Christian Church, Moderator, 2004
- Pension Fund of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), Board of Directors 2008 to present
- North Central High School Band Parent Organization, Vice President 2008-2009
- North Central High School Band Parent Organization, President 2009-2010
- Downey Avenue Christian Church, Trustee 2010
- Represented an insurance company in a bad faith action before the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals, which affirmed district court’s grant of summary judgment in favor of the client, on the basis that the insurer did not breach its contract or act in fad faith when it filed an interpleader against the insured and numerous claimants, and tendered its policy limits into court, and held that its duty to defend ended upon the deposit of the limits into court: Abstract & Title Guaranty Co., Inc. v. Chicago Ins. Co., 489 F.3d 808 (7th Cir. 2007).
- Obtained summary judgment for insured declaring that he was entitled to underinsured motorist coverage under his employer’s primary and excess auto policies with multi-million limits for severe injuries suffered when he was hit by an uninsured motorist while assisting injured motorists: Spencer v. Liberty Mut. Ins. Co., 381 F.Supp. 2d 811 (S.D. Ind. 2005).
- Represented insurer in an action in which the Indiana Court of Appeals concluded there was no insurance coverage under a homeowner’s policy for injuries suffered by the insured’s minor guest when she was riding the insured’s ATV off of the insured’s property: Illinois Farmers Ins. Co. v. Wiegand, 808 N.E.2d 180 (Ind. Ct. App. 2004).
- Counseled and represented insurers and insureds with regard to disputes or litigation concerning liability coverage, indemnity rights, and/or the priority of coverage for construction accidents and environmental contamination.
Represented clients in the following reported cases:
- Midtown Chiropractic v. Illinois Farmers Ins. Co., 847 N.E.2d 942 (Ind. 2006)
- Auto Owners Ins. Co. v. United Farm Bureau Ins. Co., 560 N.E.2d 549 (Ind. Ct. App. 1990)
- Knight v. United Farm Bureau Ins. Co., 950 F.2d 377 (7th Cir. 1991)
- Hartford Fire Insurance Co. v. Pure Air, 154 F.R.D. 202 (N.D. Ind. 1993)
- Illinois Farmers Ins. Co. v. Adams, 144 F.3d 1129 (7th Cir. 1998)
- Darst v. Illinois Farmers Ins. Co., 716 N.E.2d 579 (Ind. Ct. App. 1999)
- Baxter v. ISTA Ins. Trust, 749 N.E.2d 47 (Ind. Ct. App. 2001)
- Jackson v. Jones, 804 N.E.2d 155 (Ind. Ct. App. 2004)
- Federated Rural Elec. Ins. Exchange v. National Farmers Union Prop. & Cas. Co., 816 N.E.2d 805 N.E.2d 456 transfer granted 816 N.E.2d 1157 (Ind. 2004)
- Northern Assurance Co. of America v. Thomson, Inc., 996 N.E.2d 785 (Ind. Ct. App. 2013)
Publications & Presentations
What Does The Liability Section Of Your Homeowner’s Policy Cover?, RBE Blog (2018)
- Most homeowners obtain a homeowner’s insurance policy to cover loss or damage to their homes. They know that the property is covered and they may know that there is some “liability” coverage under the policy, but that is the extent of their understanding of what the policy covers. Increasingly, homeowners are obtaining insurance policies on-line without an agent to advise them on what liability coverage they have, and what other liability coverages are available. The following summary explains the liability coverages often provided or available in a homeowner’s policy. READ ARTICLE
- Advanced Insurance Law, ICLEF (1998, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008)
- Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum Seminar: “Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists” (1996)
- NBI Seminar: “Insurance Litigation in Indiana” (1995, 1997)
- Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum Seminar: “Advanced Insurance Law” (1998, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008)
- Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum Seminar: “Trucking Law: Trucking Insurance Policies and Insurance Issues Arising From Trucking Accidents” (2012)
- Indiana Law Update Seminar: “Insurance Law” (2013)
Awards & Recognition
- American Jurisprudence Awards in Civil Procedure and Family Law
- The American Jurisprudence Award Is a prestigious award present to a law student who demonstrates outstanding scholastic achievement.
- Indiana Super Lawyers (2004, 2010, and 2012 - 2018)
- Super Lawyers is a rating service of outstanding lawyers who have attained a high-degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. The selection process includes independent research, peer nominations and peer evaluations
- Indianapolis Bar Association, Litigation Section
- Indiana State Bar Association
- American Bar Association, Litigation, Tort and Insurance Practice Sections
- Defense Research Institute
- Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana
- Chair of Insurance Coverage Section, 1999
- Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude (1987)
- Indiana Law Review, Note and Development Editor (1986-1987)
- Carleton College, B.A., magna cum laude (1984)
- Indiana (1987)
- U. S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit