John Egloff serves as trusted legal counsel for scores of local, regional and national businesses, providing a full range of legal services with respect to their operational and transactional needs. John's more than 30 years of experience as a business attorney includes the formation, acquisition, sale and merger of business entities large and small, and the negotiation, drafting and/or review of virtually every type of business agreement and business-related documentation, including real estate and equipment leases and purchase agreements; financing documents (loan agreements, notes and mortgages); private placement memoranda; employment agreements (including non-competition agreements); licensing and franchise agreements; dealership and distributorship agreements; and routine customer and vendor documents (such as purchase order forms and warranty documentation).
John has served as the Firm's managing partner and has continued to serve on the Firm's Management Committee.
Seminars | Presentations
- “Counseling the Small Business in Indiana,” National Business Institute.
- “Salary Reduction Plans under IRC Section 401(k) in Benefit Planning,” Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum;
- “Overview of Employee Benefit Plan Litigation,” Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum
- “Qualified Plans,” Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum;
- “How to Handle Employee Benefits Litigation,” Indianapolis Bar Association;
- “Employee Welfare Benefits: Insurance, Vacation Pay and Severance Pay,” Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum;
- “ERISA Liability and Litigation: Statutory and Procedural Overview,” Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum;
- “Benefits and the Law,” Council on Education in Management;
- “Prohibited Transactions and Fiduciary Liability,” Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum;
- “Advance Directives and the Right to Die”, Lorman Business Center;
- “Choosing the Proper Business Entity”, Indianapolis Business Journal;
- “Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994”, Indiana Continuing Education Forum;
- “Participant Directed Investments under ERISA Section 404(c)”, Council on Education in Management;
- “Benefits Update,” Council on Education in Management;
- “Contract Drafting Techniques and Standard Provisions,” Indiana Continuing Education Forum
Lease Negotiations – Tips for Tenants, RBE Blog (November 2016)
- So you’ve decided to start a new business or expand your existing business, and you’ve found the perfect location. For most businesses, that means you’ll be leasing your new space.The first step in the leasing process will involve negotiating the “business” terms of the lease, which are generally reflected in a letter of intent. READ MORE
Practice Area Experience
- Representation of business owners in merger and acquisition transactions ranging in size from a few hundred thousand dollars to $300 million.
- Representation of borrowers in various business financing transactions ranging from $50,000 to $25 million.
- Representation of shareholders/owners in numerous shareholder/owner disputes in companies ranging in size from $250,000 to $30 million in value.
- Representation of entrepreneurs and businesses in private placement transactions of up to $25 million.
- Assisted client in recovery of $1 million from the vendor of defective manufacturing technology.
- Representation of numerous physicians in the negotiation of employment agreements with hospitals and medical groups, and in the sale of physician practices.
- Ongoing representation of national retailer in lease negotiations and related matters involving over 100 shopping centers in six states.
- Representation of landlords of office and retail space in various leasing matters.
Rankings | Awards
- Indiana State Bar Association Presidential Citation (2004)
- Who's Who in American Law
- Best Lawyers in America
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Rated
- Order of the Coif (1978)
- Indiana Super Lawyers (2004-2016)
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section and Law Practice Management Section
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Indianapolis Bar Associations
- Michigan State University, Bachelor of Arts in Humanities/Pre-Law, with honor (1975)
- Indiana University Maurer School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude (1978)
- Indiana (1978)
- U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Northern Districts of Indiana
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court