Courtney David Mills concentrates his practice in medical malpractice defense. He represents hospitals, long term care facilities, physicians, nurses, nurse practitioners, clinics, and other healthcare providers in the defense of medical negligence claims.
VANWINKLE et al v. NICHOLS et al, 2015 WL 9275671 (N.D. Ind. 2015).
Taking a 'side step' in the legal profession, the Indiana Lawyer, (2016)
- The desire for more responsibility — specifically to be able to sign the documents he drafted as a paralegal — fueled Courtney David Mills’ decision to go to law school. He earned a paralegal certificate with the idea he would be able to see up close what attorneys do and then decide whether to get a J.D. READ MORE
How to Avoid Liability for Being a Good Citizen, RBE Blog (2016)
- People say that no good deed goes unpunished. Sometimes in our litigious society, this proverb becomes a reality. Fortunately, Indiana has an obscure law that protects citizens who are dragged into litigation for legitimately exercising their first amendment rights of freedom of speech and freedom of petition. Such protections cover a wide range of activities, including teachers and physicians who report suspected child abuse, witnesses who report suspected criminal activity, a whistle blower targeted by his former employer, or an aggrieved citizen who writes an editorial criticizing a corporation. READ MORE
Beyond the Office
Courtney and his wife are very involved in animal rescue. Courtney lives on a small farm in Mooresville, IN with 3 horses, 10 dogs, and 2 cats.
Rankings | Awards
Eagle Scout - Boy Scouts of America (1998)
- Eagle Scout is the highest achievement or rank attainable in the Boy Scouting program of the Boy Scouts of America (BSA). The designation "Eagle Scout" has a long history since its founding over one hundred years ago. Only four percent of Boy Scouts are granted this rank after a lengthy review process. The requirements necessary to achieve this rank take years to fulfill. Since its founding, the Eagle Scout rank has been earned by more than two million young men
Indiana Paralegal Association - Board Member of the Year (2007)
Indiana Paralegal Association - Paralegal of the Year (2008)
Indiana Paralegal Association - Leadership Award (2010)
Indiana University McKinney School of Law - Order of the Barristers (2013)
- The Order of Barristers is a United States national honor society whose purpose is the encouragement of oral advocacy and brief writing skills through effective law school oral advocacy programs. The Order of Barristers seeks to improve these programs through interscholastic sharing of ideas, information, and resources. The Order also provides national recognition for individuals who have excelled in advocacy and service at their respective schools.
National Moot Court Competition - Competitor (2014)
- The National Moot Court Competition is the oldest, largest, and most prestigious moot court competition in the United States. Co-sponsored by the New York City Bar Association and the American College of Trial Lawyers, the competition includes up to 191 teams from 124 law schools, who compete in regional competitions in November with the top two in each region advancing to the national competition held in the landmark House of the New York City Bar Association in February
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana
- Defense Research Institute
- Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis, Paralegal Studies (2002)
- Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis, Bachelors of Arts in Political Science (2004)
- Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law,, J.D. (2015)
- Indiana (2015)
- US District Court for the Northern and Southern Districts of Indiana (2015)