Courtney David Mills
Courtney David Mills concentrates his practice in medical malpractice defense. He represents hospitals, long term care facilities, physicians, nurses, nurse practitioners, clinics, and other healthcare providers in the defense of medical negligence claims.
Vanwinkle v. Nichols, 2015 WL 9275671 (S.D. Ind. 2015).
- A physician was sued in District Court for reporting suspected child abuse to DCS. The complaint alleged a conspiracy to violate a mother’s constitutional right of family integrity by causing DCS to separate the family.
Gresk for Estate of VanWinkle v. Demetris, 96 N.E.3d 56 (Ind. 2018).
- A physician was sued for reporting suspected child abuse to DCS. The complaint alleged an alleged misdiagnosis of the child being a victim of child abuse.
Congratulations to RBE’s 2023 Super Lawyers
Riley Bennett Egloff is proud to announce that eleven of its attorneys were named “Super Lawyers” and six others as...
The First Five Things To Do After Being Sued
Receiving a summons or complaint in the mail can be nerve-racking and stressful. Whether you were recently involved in...
Health Care Providers May Not be Held Liable for Computer Errors with Electronic Medical Records
Electronic Medical Records (or EMRs) have been a thorn in the side of many health care providers for more than a...
AI’s impact, from driverless cars to lawyerless law firms
Artificial intelligence is not necessarily the same as automation. AI does not have a precise definition, but most...
Indiana Makes Significant Changes to End of Life Health Care Decisions And Medical Consent Laws
On March 13, 2018, the Indiana Governor signed House Bill 1119 into law after it was approved by unanimous votes in...
Ready or Not: Updates to Indiana’s Medical Malpractice Act Are Headed Your Way
In 2016, the Indiana legislature made significant changes to Indiana’s Medical Malpractice Act (“MMA”) to take...
How to Avoid Liability for Being a Good Citizen
People say that no good deed goes unpunished. Sometimes in our litigious society, this proverb becomes a reality....
Beyond the Office
Courtney and his wife are very involved in animal rescue. Courtney lives on a small farm in Mooresville, IN with 3 horses, 10 dogs, and 2 cats.
Awards & Recognition
Eagle Scout – Boy Scouts of America (1998)
- Eagle Scout is the highest achievement or rank attainable in the Boy Scouting program of the Boy Scouts of America (BSA). The designation “Eagle Scout” has a long history since its founding over one hundred years ago. Only four percent of Boy Scouts are granted this rank after a lengthy review process. The requirements necessary to achieve this rank take years to fulfill. Since its founding, the Eagle Scout rank has been earned by more than two million young men
Indiana Paralegal Association – Board Member of the Year (2007)
Indiana Paralegal Association – Paralegal of the Year (2008)
Indiana Paralegal Association – Leadership Award (2010)
Indiana University McKinney School of Law – Order of the Barristers (2013)
- The Order of Barristers is a United States national honor society whose purpose is the encouragement of oral advocacy and brief writing skills through effective law school oral advocacy programs. The Order of Barristers seeks to improve these programs through interscholastic sharing of ideas, information, and resources. The Order also provides national recognition for individuals who have excelled in advocacy and service at their respective schools.
National Moot Court Competition – Competitor (2014)
- The National Moot Court Competition is the oldest, largest, and most prestigious moot court competition in the United States. Co-sponsored by the New York City Bar Association and the American College of Trial Lawyers, the competition includes up to 191 teams from 124 law schools, who compete in regional competitions in November with the top two in each region advancing to the national competition held in the landmark House of the New York City Bar Association in February
Indiana Super Lawyers – Rising Star (2020 – Present)
- Super Lawyers is a rating service of outstanding lawyers who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. The selection process includes independent research, peer nominations, and peer evaluations.
Best Lawyers in America – Ones To Watch (2022 – Present)
- Best Lawyers is the oldest and most respected peer-review publication in the legal profession. Recognition in Best Lawyers is widely regarded by clients and legal professionals as a significant honor conferred on a lawyer by their peers.
Medical Malpractice Defense
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana
- Defense Research Institute
- Indiana (2015)
- US District Court for the Northern and Southern Districts of Indiana (2015)
- Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law, J.D. (2015)
- Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis, Bachelors of Arts in Political Science (2004)
- Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis, Paralegal Studies (2002)