Courtney David Mills
Courtney David Mills concentrates his practice in medical malpractice defense. He represents hospitals, long-term care facilities, physicians, nurses, nurse practitioners, clinics, and other health-care providers in the defense of medical negligence claims.
Andry v. Thorbecke, 2023 Ind. App. LEXIS 248 (Ind. Ct. App. 2023).
- Obtained a favorable reversal in favor of a physician pursuant to Indiana’s bright-line rule prohibiting untimely materials submitted in summary judgment proceedings.
Incremedical, LLC v. Kennedy, 212 N.E.3d 220 (Ind. Ct. App. 2023).
- Successfully obtained a dismissal for an athletic trainer seeking protection under Indiana’s Medical Malpractice Act in a case of first impression regarding whether Athletic Trainers are considered Health-Care Providers under Indiana’s Medical Malpractice Act.
Gresk for Estate of VanWinkle v. Demetris, 96 N.E.3d 56 (Ind. 2018).
- Successfully obtained a dismissal for a physician seeking immunity under Indiana’s Strategic Lawsuit Against Public Participation law (“SLAPP” law) in the first SLAPP case brought before the Indiana Supreme Court.
Vanwinkle v. Nichols, 2015 WL 9275671 (S.D. Ind. 2015).
- Successfully obtained an early case dismissal for a physician who was sued in District Court for reporting suspected child abuse to DCS. The complaint alleged a conspiracy to violate a mother’s constitutional right of family integrity by causing DCS to separate the family.
Riley Bennett Egloff Announces 2024 Best Lawyers Honorees 20 RBE Attorneys Recognized as Best Lawyers in America...
Riley Bennett Egloff is proud to announce that eleven of its attorneys were named “Super Lawyers” and six others as...
Receiving a summons or complaint in the mail can be nerve-racking and stressful. Whether you were recently involved in...
Electronic Medical Records (or EMRs) have been a thorn in the side of many health care providers for more than a...
Artificial intelligence is not necessarily the same as automation. AI does not have a precise definition, but most...
On March 13, 2018, the Indiana Governor signed House Bill 1119 into law after it was approved by unanimous votes in...
In 2016, the Indiana legislature made significant changes to Indiana’s Medical Malpractice Act (“MMA”) to take...
People say that no good deed goes unpunished. Sometimes in our litigious society, this proverb becomes a reality....
Beyond the Office
Courtney and his wife live on a small farm in Mooresville, Indiana with three horses, ten dogs, and two cats. They are both very involved with animal rescue.
Awards & Recognition
- Boy Scouts of America, Eagle Scout, 1998
- Indiana Paralegal Association
- Board Member of the Year, 2007
- Paralegal of the Year, 2008
- Leadership Award, 2010
- Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law
- Order of the Barristers, 2013
- National Moot Court Competition
- Competitor, 2014
- Indiana Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2020 – present
- Medical Malpractice — Defense
- Best Lawyers in America – Ones To Watch, 2022 – present
- Insurance Law
- Medical Malpractice Law — Defendants
Medical Malpractice Defense
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana
- Defense Research Institute
Bar and Court Admissions
- Indiana, 2015
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana, 2015
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana, 2015
- Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law, JD, 2015
- Indiana University Indianapolis, BA, Political Science, 2004
- Indiana University Indianapolis, Paralegal Studies, 2002